Our mission is to foster academic, career and personal/social growth in our student body in order to provide students with the tools necessary to become active and productive members of society.
School Counselors at REAMS believe that...
- All students should have equal access to school counselors and the services that the school counseling department provides
- All students should be treated with respect no matter their race, ethnicity, culture, gender, religion, etc.
- School counselors must design, plan and implement activities consistent with the goals of the school counseling program
- School counselors should monitor the academic, career and personal/social progress of students throughout the school year
- Counselors should follow the professional and ethical standards of the American School Counselor Association (ASCA)
- Counselors should facilitate relevant communications between parents, guardians, administrators, teachers and community members
- Counselors should provide a guidance curriculum that is consistent with the needs of the entire student population
- By providing at-risk students with extra help, counselors and teachers may be able to intervene and "close the gap"
- The school counseling program should be aligned with the ASCA National Model
- All school counselors should seek professional school counseling credentials
- School counselors should strive to continue their education through workshops, seminars, etc.
- Assisting students with outside referrals to specialists may be necessary.
- Counselors should review data to see which programs are working and which programs need to be altered
- Counselors need to be evaluated by a counseling supervisor to provide critical feedback about their job performance